|The pavement is quite cracked along Fries Ave|
|Extent of paved areas in the region.|
Before I started adding the pavement pieces, I painted the track. I used Vallejo acrylic polyurethane surface primer. It sticks well to the track and is relatively nontoxic when spraying in an open room. Still, I wore my respirator, opened the window, and turned on the spray booth on the other side of the room. Before spraying I wiped the track with an alcohol soaked rag to clean model release and solder flux. I used a mix of black, gray and Israeli Desert Sand Gray, plus a shot of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver to the paint bowl.
Then I test ran some trains to make sure electrical pickup was not compromised. There were a few spots where I needed to make adjustments to the track and add some additional feeders. A good portion of the painted track will be covered by pavement, but I painted it all anyway.
I am using Taskboard to make the paved surfaces. It is easy to work, and has an slightly rough texture that looks like pavement when painted. I will cover this in more detail in the book.