April 25, 2016

Deck the hulls with sheets of styrene...



I started adding the decks to the ship. Since this is going to be a static model with the cargo covers closed, I made the deck supports from large pieces of 1/8 inch plywood and basswood strips. In retrospect, I probably should have cut a single piece for the deck supports, but this composite construction with basswood strips and plywood panels is very strong.


I encountered some serious gaps where the forecastle deck meets the hull. I filled the gaps with strips of styrene, then gap filling CA with baking soda. I sanded that down and then put on a skim coat of auto body putty. Once that dries I'll finish sanding.







Some serious gaps - filled with gap filling
CA,  baking soda and styrene strips
Skim coat of bondo

No comments:

Post a Comment