A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 16, 2020

The curve is dead, long live the curve.

I began spiking the new track. I started at Clairborne Creek and proceeded as far as the rail I had  on hand would allow. I installed about 8 feet of track around the new turn back curve. This location used to host the tightest curve on the railroad. With unbridled and ill-advised enthusiasm, I had built a curved turnout in that curve, which never functioned reliably. The new track has a wider radius by 2 or so inches, has better easements, no curved turnout, and fewer kinks. I hope it provides reliable operation.   This video shows a short train testing out the new curve.  So far so good.



I am looking forward to getting a delivery of rail and spikes soon to allow me to continue with track laying. In the meantime, I am preparing the materials for the new benchwork in the crew lounge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment