A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 11, 2020

Phase 1 Rock Carving Complete

The long endure of carving rocks from the northern portal of Stares Tunnel to  Belle Air Farm and Battery Schaefer is complete. I swept up some of the loose chips and gave the scenery a base coat. It's amazing what a coat of paint on the fascia will do to improve the appearance. I need more paint to finish the base scenery.

I do have a dilema. I used Adirondack Bark color of Ralph Lauren River Rock texture paint for my fascia and base terrain color. It is code RL83. I like the paint because it has a subtle texture. As I worked on the layout in the past I purchased two gallons of that rather expensive paint. The last gallon I purchased was in 2012. In 2017, Ralph Lauren decided to get out of the paint business. Specialty companies have popped up that will match most of the former Ralph Lauren paints, but not for the textured paints.  Here is the message one of them sent to me.

Thanks for contacting MyPerfectColor.
While MyPerfectColor can match any standard Ralph Lauren paint colors, unfortunately we don't have matches of any Ralph Lauren specialty finishes such as Suede, River Rock, Metallic or Venetian plaster finishes nor do we know anywhere that does. At this point I believe all Ralph Lauren paint is long gone. I think you will likely just have to repaint it.

All is not lost. I have enough paint to finish the fascia in the front room. I will get a fresh can of non-textured paint for the Falmouth extension. I can add some fine N Scale ballast to the paint if necessary. The only drawback is that will require me to go to the Home Depot to get the paint matched. I'd rather stay out of those stores for the time being.


7 comments:

  1. I appreciate how clean your fascia appears without all the visual "operations clutter" stuck to the sides. I just put a second coat of paint on my fascia last night and you are correct - it is amazing what that does to the overall appearance. I find it also to be invigorating. BTW my color of choice is a color match of the Delta Ceramcoat craft paint "Mudstone".

    On the subject of the RL paint with River Rock texture - I purchased some in July of 2016 to repaint a room before we moved, though it was a slate gray color. Got it at Home Depot. Looks like we moved just in time! Good luck with the search.

    Galen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have sworn I saw it for sale at Home Depot the last time I was there. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. Call ahead and curb side pick up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the trick is matching the color. But the match doesn't have to be exact. Close enough is probably good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughts on aisle width now that all is in place? Looks like a tight squeeze for some of your more "senior" operators...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you considered adding unit insignia or other Civil War related graphics to the fascia in places where troops are on the layout? Might be a neat touch, or it could be a distraction. Dunno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you mention that. There was no such thing as unit insignias until General Hooker developed a system for unit identification during the late winter of 1863. He came with with the corps and division insignias for the Army of the Potomac, which the units immediately adopted. It became a source of pride for the units. So much so that when II Corps was disbanded, the soldiers insisted on wearing their old corps patches.

      But, I like to keep my fascia uncluttered, so I won’t add unit ID’s to the fascia. I do show corps flags and such on the actual layout when possible. So at Stoneman's station I have a corps commander and his flag visible. At Gen Whipple's HQ, the correct divisional flag for 3rd division, III corps will be on display outside his HQ in the farm house.

      Delete