A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 18, 2020

Phase I-B complete



I am naming this area Drye's Curve because he has been admiring it as it developed.
I finished the basic scenery and backdrop painting for Little Chain Ring Ridge and Stares Tunnel.  I got a start on Phase I-C by making several trees. I will need about 6-10 more big trees. Then there are details including stumps, fences, tents, etc.  The forested area on the ridge will help break up the line of sight from the room entrance to Belle Air farm. The basic idea is to prevent a visitor from  seeing all the layout from any one spot.  Camp Pitcher and Belle Air Farm need to be installed and detailed.

I started adding some static grass. The first location was above Stares Tunnel. There is a lot more scenery detailing to finish this scene.





3 comments:

  1. Just fantastic, Bernie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I really like the era you model and your layout has inspired me to give it a try in HO. I was wondering what you use to ballast your track? I can't seem to get the right look. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Scenic Express FINE NATURAL SOIL & DIRT. I have been using that since the dirt I collected in Utah has run out.

      Delete