A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 12, 2022

A Project for a Snow Week

Winter came in with a vengeance this week. We went from 65 degrees F to 13 inches of snow in 12 hours. Then just 4 days later another big storm hit the east coast, but only dropped 3 more inches of snow on our region. 

Our planned trip to visit my daughter and son-in-law in Alabama was postponed. So I took the time to build a small vignette based a situation from a role playing game of Dungeons and Dragons. I had never played D&D before despite my background as a war gamer. But a friend invited me to his new campaign and I accepted. 

It was a lot of fun. I have played a lot of the computer game Diablo. But D&D is a role playing game where most of the action takes place in your imagination. So I thought it would be fun to bring to 3D a scene from the game.  This was the first battle my character encountered. Our party of 5 were attacked by orcs that had just ransacked a farm. Only two of them reached my location where my character had to defeat them in close combat. The other orcs were felled by my team mates' arrows and magic spells.

The last orc berserker halts to roar. The Paladin dispatched the first orc with one stroke of his sword..



All these figures are 3D prints that I made from files I purchased on line. The overall vignette is about 6 by 7 inches. It was a fun little project that allowed me to practice my figure painting with acrylics and water based oils.






2 comments:

  1. Your figure painting skills are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that is your character I must say you look impressive with a bucket on your head. I know nothing about this genre of modeling but the figure work and painting is very impressive, like all of your work. Enjoy the snow tomorrow.

    Gerard

    ReplyDelete