A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 21, 2022

Mid-West Wanderings Part 1

View from Turkey Spur Overlook at Grandview Park


 

Amtrak Cardinal at Clifton Forge
My trip began with rain in Virginia, but by the time I was in the mountains of West Virginia the weather was glorious.

I stopped at Clifton Forge, VA to eat lunch. I was just in time to see the Amtrak Cardinal arrive. Then I stopped at Grandview State Park to take a break and do some hiking. I got some spectacular photos with the lead one probably my favorite.

I arrived in Lexington, KY at my son and Daughter-in-law's house where they surprised me with news that I was going to be a grand pa for a second time! So exciting.

Interior of the half dome at Cincinnati Union Terminal

The Alkem Scale Models pig?
The next morning I met John Burchnall, my host for the weekend, at the American Sign Museum for a weekend tour of sights and layouts in the Cincinnati area. We also visited the Cincinnati Union Terminal where we did some railfanning. Next we visited EnterTrainment.

One of the early rail scenes at EnterTrainment

These model buildings are nearly 8 feet tall
EnterTrainment is a spectacular indoor G scale model railroad. It is about 25,000 square feet. The venue also has a railroad museum, hobby shop and a fun house for kids and adults. While we were there we got the VIP treatment with a backstage tour. We also got to meet Je'rod Cherry, a former NFL defensive back with New England Patriots. He was doing working with Don Oeters, the owner of EnterTrainment, on some charity work.


Jerry Strangarity (l) and John Burchnall (r) at Jerry's layout

A detailed scene on Jerry's Layout
The next day we visited Jerry Strangarity's highly detailed Reading Railroad HO Scale layout, Jerry is a master builder of models and telescopes. The images show some examples of his fantastic work.
Coal Breaker scene on Jerry's layout



In the afternoon, I presented a talk on waterfront terminals and operations to the Cincy Division. They had a great audio visual set up. The talk was simultaneously broadcast on Zoom. They must have enjoyed it because they invited me back for another talk next year.



Chase and Muziki taking the Porsche to work
while I stay at the house to do projects


I returned to Lexington where Chase and Mizuki had prepared a smoked pork loin on their smoker. Then we roasted S'mores at the fire pit while we watched the Luna eclipse.
The next morning the kids took the Porsche to work, while I stayed home and did home improvement projects on their house.

The trip continues with a visit to Indianapolis for another NMRA event. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment