A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 10, 2024

Down to the Sea in Trains - Ships for Model Railroads

 I'll be doing a virtual clinic for the Potomac Division of the NMRA on May 11th at 3:00PM. I believe the clinic will be posted to youtube after I present it if you are not a member of the NMRA.  Here is a brief video clip showing some of the material I will be covering.





7 comments:

  1. Bernie - great presentation saturday; excellent historic photos, and nicely done ship models on your layout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousMay 13, 2024

      I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Jeff MrockMay 13, 2024

    Here's a dumb question Bernie. If the ships cranes are images on the backdrop, how do you have lights on them in the night operations video? Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousMay 13, 2024

      Good catch. I used Adobe After Effects to swap backdrop photos for the night video. It was easy (OK, easier) to do because the camera did not move.

      Delete
    2. AnonymousMay 14, 2024

      Oh, interesting. It was so well done and didn't realize that a video could be edited like that post production.

      Delete
    3. AnonymousMay 14, 2024

      Yes. Adobe After Effects is professional grade video editing software. With enough time and experience one could do a full length movie with it. I barely know how to scratch the surface of that software.

      Delete
    4. Jeff MrockMay 15, 2024

      Yes your right Bernie, in architecture school I had a class in Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, but never had the time to master these softwares. Adobe for me is not a good fit, but want to become proficient in digital rendering, and eventually do some modeling projects similar to the tech that you use. Adobe products will do anything, but for me are almost too complex and I struggle with the interface. If I ever get some free time I want to explore other alternatives like Blender, and switch to all Apple products. Whatever your skill set those night time dock crane images really jumped out at me, especially compared with the daylight views. Thanks for explaining the process.

      Delete