Work continues on the ship, book and several other projects.
I started adding the detail parts to the ship and did some weathering. Weathering such a large object was a lot of fun. I focused on weathering the hull, especially the anti-foul paint that was visible. I used my airbrush and paint brushes to add rust and faded paint. I tried spraying lines on the hull using soft masks to hint at the underlying frames beneath the hulls panels. I did the same to the hatch covers, spraying a crisscross pattern to simulate the ribs.
Speaking of the hatch covers, I added laser cut corner castings using self adhesive Bristol Board, painted them yellow, and stuck them on the hatch covers. That was more of a pain in the neck than I expected, but they add a nice detail.
Next I worked on the antennas for the superstructure. I made the main mast out of various pieces of brass tube using a photo of an actual ship as a guide. I like working with brass and this was the perfect opportunity.
The kit comes with two trays of cast fittings and various supplies. Some of the casting as quite good, while some I discarded. The radar mast base was one that I discarded, but the radar's spinning head was good. The search lights are quite good, as in the DF antenna -are these still in use and appropriate for a modern ship?
Next I painted the stack and added a Alkem Flying A logo.
In the meantime, I have been writing and working on the book. It is coming along very well. As usual, I have way too much material to use and the challenge is trying to determine what to cut.
I also worked on some projects for other folks. Last weekend I stopped by Paul Dolkos's house to see how the pier shed I have cut for him was coming along.
I also worked on a project for my brother that involved laser cutting some buildings with exaggerated perspective. They are for a bonsai tree exhibition that he is building as a shadow box. It will be interesting to see how that comes out and how the bonsai artist react to a very non-traditional display.