A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 7, 2024

Punch List Time

 

We are almost done with the Operation Chattanooga Choo Choo diorama. There are just a few items on the punch list left to do.  Mark is just about finished with the last major element, which is a German tactical truck in the foreground. 

I have a few more things to do on the trains and that will be it.


To make the water I used a product that I haven't tried before - UV curing resin. I painted the stream bed with mud brown and dark blue gray taking care to feather the brown into the gray. Then I added a thin layer of UV resin. I used a portable UV light to cure it. But after a half hour, Alicia helped me carry the whole diorama outside to let the strong sunlight help cure it. I couldn't leave the diorama outside too long as it was very hot today, and the sun was strong. The models heated up very rapidly.  Good news was the resin cured quite nicely. This is probably the easiest way to make a clear resin stream. 

While the models were outside, I decided to take a few test photos. There is nothing like actual daylight to make a model look realistic. 




2 comments:

  1. Didn't the UV light cure the resin? Why did you have to take it outside to cure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 09, 2024

      The uv light appeared to work but I took it out just to be sure.

      Delete