A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 22, 2009

Fredericksburg

I painted a representation of Fredericksburg on the backdrop behind Falmouth tonight. I took a little liberty with the geography as one cannot see Fredericksburg from the railroad location at Falmouth, as the railroad is located at the bottom of a small ravine. Fredericksburg is on the other side of the hill and across the RappahannockRiver. Nonetheless, I thought that adding the town scene might help improve the overall layout context.



The large barn-turned-church is a cutout of an ACW photo. This is just a test to see how it looks. I printed this on light weight paper. If I decide to use it, I'll reprint on heavy stock. I'll also use photoshop to colorize the image. For this test I just used some color markers.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool, Bernie... didn't know you were an Artist as well... what about looking at an old photo from that time, that can be colorized, like Dave Frary did for the Nantucket Railroad... your painting came out nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with the Fredericksburg scene is that no photo exists from this angle because this angle doesn't exist. I may try a photo composite if I decide I don't like my "cartoon-like" town scene.

    ReplyDelete