A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 10, 2010

Falmouth Engine Terminal

The turntable structure is complete with the final details added. I started to install the storage tracks that are served by the turntable. I considered adding an engine house, but the overall area is too small and even a single stall engine house was too big. This is probably not a bad thing, as I think it unlikely that they would have built an extensive shop at the south end of the line. Still, I do plan to add a tool shed.  The engine shed will be installed at Aquia Landing.
The completed turntable. The pit still needs to be finished.
Staining the staves


I built a single water tank as part of the engine terminal.  I modified a design from City Point, where the tank is tapered and the top open.  This was a fun project that took an afternoon and evening.

The tapered tanks takes shape
I laser cut the staves so that each one had a .005 inch taper on each side. This was sufficient to allow the staves to line up on the tank with the proper taper. The diameter of the upper tank is 0.25 inches less than the bottom. I laser cut these with a central support to keep everything centered and square.

Trying to keep the deck square to the beams.

 I built up the deck board by board on 0.25 inch square and 3/16th inch by 3/8th inch timbers.

The rings are 0.010 by 0.020 inch styrene with Tichy turn buckles.

The canvas hose is a piece of masking tape painted and detailed with styrene strip clamps.

The valve mechanism is brass rod and scrap pieces of timber. I used two pieces of bird shot as weights for the pull cord.

To make the exposed water surface, I puttied and painted the top disk a midnight blue color. Once all the parts were added, I painted the blue surface with two thick coats of Vallejo Gloss Varnish.

Next up is a wood rick and a tool shed.

Does anyone know how they filled these tanks? I see no evidence of a supply pipe in the photos.

I also am thinking about adding an ash pit.  I will probably place  it on the turntable lead, near the water tank.





Here is the finished water tank.

Haupt and Stevenson observe the water tank in action.

Engine Whiton rides the competed turntable.

No comments:

Post a Comment