A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 8, 2015

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Work in progress before adding the curbs
Work progresses on PoLA with the addition of curbs, RR crossings and the start of the pier shed.

The curbs were trickier  than I expected. I ended up making them with laser cut 1/16th inch acrylic. I am trying to depict the grade crossing shown in the photo below.

I have run into two problems in developing this scene. First is that the scene has been changed quite a bit since 2005. None of the photos on Google Earth, Bing Maps, nor  my own shots show the same details in the scene. Secondly, the prototype road is 4 lanes, but my model road is only 2. So I needed to pick and choose elements to include in the scene.  I think the end result is coming along nicely. Next I need to select a electric circuit to control the flashers. Not sure how I am going to do that aspect yet.



In the meantime, I drew and then laser cut the basic structure for the Pier Shed. I used 1/8 inch plywood with a foam core roof and bass wood stiffeners. I used a can of off-white latex house paint to paint the basic walls. That worked surprising well.  There will be another layer of contrasting color architecture trim, as well as a central cupola on the roof.

Like how the ship in the background rises above the walls of the shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment