A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 16, 2020

Backdrop at Camp Pitcher

Backdrop behind Camp Pitcher is complete
Work progresses on scenery and backdrops.

The backdrop that was formerly behind Falmouth needed some major touch up. I started with the sky. Ideally I would have painted the sky blue and started with a nice clean slate. But, I couldn't find my quart of sky blue paint.So I tried to do the required touch-up on the backdrop with just white and paynes gray.

The next morning I looked at it and decided to try again. However,  this time I did find the sky blue paint. So I painted over the new clouds and tried again. Alas, the new sky blue paint is a bit more intense than the original light blue that I used. I was able to use a can of white spray paint to blend the new blue with the old blue,

Then I painted some clouds. The lower clouds portray the geometric perspective, while I painted large clouds higher up for dramatic effect.

Then I stared with painting the ground scene on the backdrop. I spent a fair amount of time working on  the area behind Camp Pitcher because the tracks come within a few inches of the backdrop. So I needed to paint  this part of the backdrop with enough detail so  that it looks good with trains nearly adjacent to it.

The results can be seen in the lead photo.

I also worked on some more trees for the layout. But I'll post about those later.

5 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 17, 2020

    Wooooo-ow! Looks pretty amazing for just a little change to the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Bernard, very good indeed. just the right feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very effective, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy BrusgardMay 17, 2020

    You know it is good when you cannot tell where the actual backdrop starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some really nice work, and it takes a ton of talent and practice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete