A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2020

Base Coat Scenery Finished

Test photo of base scenery and new backdrop


Base coat of ground cover, ballast,  and rock painting done
The base coat of scenery is applied. The humidity was very low the past two days, so the base coat dried very quickly. I'll let it dry completely overnight and see how it looks.

 Tomorrow I will touch up the backdrop and paint a new distant ridge, something like you see in the test image above.

I also mocked up some of the structures and trees to see how the scenery will look.  I need to refurbish  the trees I removed and build some new ones.

The buildings do a good job of hiding the train in the backgound
Lots of details to go, but the scene is presentable.


Mock up of Belle Air Farm

3 comments:

  1. Bernie,

    Or do you prefer Bernard? My name is Jeff & have been reading your blog for quite some time, and really enjoy your modeling work, articles, & comments.

    I was curious about the clouds in the test photo of the scenery and backdrop. Were they painted by you, or a digital image? They are very effective and realistic in form, depth and texture. Also, what medium do you use to paint the backdrops, oil or acrylics? And perhaps you could elaborate on how you might block out the scenes you paint. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I am glad you are enjoying the blog. The backdrop in the test image is a photo I inserted with Photoshop. I normally use acrylics to paint my backdrops. I suggest you look at the index item for Backdrops on my blog. There are 54 posts describing how I do my backdrops. I enjoy backdrop painting.

      Delete
    2. Bernie, Thank you for the response! I should have remembered to search your past posts, I think I have probably read about your methods, & maybe forgot this. It is amazing to see the amount progress in such a short time. I guess it helps to have a good command of the methods used so you don't have to learn new techniques.

      I live in an apartment currently, so any modeling on my part will solely be planning & possibly building a portable tool/work chest
      for very small projects.

      I would like to build a small Sn3 layout, from the late 1800's period, which is probably why I am so fascinated by your site (other than the superb modeling).

      I am so used to seeing TOC narrow gauge equipment, your layout is an interesting contrast with the delicate Civil War equipment run on standard gauge track. The visual proportion is an interesting dynamic.

      The only backdrop painting I ever did was a small diorama of the Wyoming Plains, with Bison, for my son's grade school project over 10 years ago. I kind of got in trouble for that one, "assisting" a little too much.

      Delete