A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 3, 2020

Making Progress on Belle Air House and Planning for More Structures

Most of the Belle Air house is finished. The roof, some details and weathering are still left to do. I wanted to build the housefirst  so I would have a better idea on how to shape the terrain around it. I want this house to help block the view of the turn back curve. I  think it it do a good job at that.

I was also thinking about additional structures that might be part of the farm. We know that the farm was prosperous from the post war claim he filed for lost fences, forage, hogs, lumber and fruit trees. So it's likely he had several supporting structures on his farm.

I am looking to the Bushong Farm for some inspiration on what to include. I visited Bushong last year and got a bunch of pictures. I like the idea of a cold cellar and an outdoor kitchen.  I also was thinking about a barn.













One picture that I found interesting, was a barn converted to an embalming/undertaker facility near Fredericksburg. However, everyone I mentioned this to, says it's too gruesome.  So I don't know.  The barn is a typical for Virginia. I'll have to think about it some more.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Bernie, The embalming/undertaker maybe gruesome but it is also historically accurate. You might build it and if it seems out of place you have an intriguing diorama structure. The Belle Air house looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the embalmer/ undertaker too. If it's something that would be located not too far from the front it would not be too out of place to see such an establishment. Maybe even more so if it's located next to or by a rail line. It would also make for a nice conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 21, 2020

    I agree with the others on the undertaker barn. There is something not entirely upright about modeling USMRR without acknowledging the horrendous toll of the war.

    ReplyDelete