A journal following the history, design, construction and operation of Bernard Kempinski's O Scale model railroad depicting the U. S. Military Railroad (USMRR) Aquia-Falmouth line in 1863, and other model railroad projects.
©Bernard Kempinski All text and images, except as noted, on this blog are copyrighted by the author and may not be used without permission.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 14, 2022

Ready for scenery and backdrops




 I finished the last terra-forming for the layout.  The low hills behind Falmouth are stryofoam, while the large hill by Stares Tunnels is a cardboard/foam web covered with rosin paper and plaster gauze. 




I ordered frog juicers for all the turnouts at Falmouth.  I don't really need them given that I use battery powered and keep-alive equipped locomotives, except for one spot- the turnout from the arrival track to the rear siding. The front stub track to the turnout to the rear siding is too close to the frog of the turnout right before it. So I cannot cut a gap in that stub rail without weakening it. So that frog and stub rail will need a frog Juicer to avoid shorts when trains use the arrival track.  The battery locos will chug right through despite the short, but the other locos will be affected. Adding frog juicers is simple and really just best practice. 

I am waiting for some additional urethane castings from Scenic Express to finish the rocks by the tunnel. Meanwhile, I painted all the raw terrain and fascia with a coat of Virginia clay red latex paint. The paint really helps the layout look a lot more refined. 

Next comes scenery and backdrop painting, some of my favorite layout building tasks.








4 comments:

  1. Falmouth is looking good. Look forward to seeing backdrop changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look great Bernie! I am curious is there an advantage you find using different media for the rough scenery, rather than using foam or plaster exclusively? Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the cardboard web in large areas where the cost of the foam might be excessive. Otherwise, I like to use expanded poly-styrofoam sheets.

      Delete
    2. Well, that makes a lot of sense! I guess I never considered the costs, but of course haven't bought any sheet foam for a long time either. Jeff

      Delete